Latest News Article: Accelerate into University! Open-City are recruiting now...
Accelerate into University!
Open-City is now recruiting students for this FREE built environment pathways mentoring programme
Accelerate into University is a pioneering mentoring programme, established in 2012 by Open-City, which has been developing architecture education and community programmes for the past 22 years. This programme has been developed in partnership with University College London (UCL) and Make Architects to widen access to Built Environment professions (architecture, planning, engineering). It is targeted at academically-able London state school students from non-traditional backgrounds and so far, nearly 100 students have taken part and benefited from the programme.
Recognising that there is a lack of students from economically, socially and culturally disadvantaged backgrounds entering Built Environment Higher Education courses, Accelerate into University was developed in direct response to requests from schools and our own research.
What is Accelerate into University?
A FREE programme open to 40 motivated and ambitious current Year 11 (going into Year 12) students from London state schools who potentially wish to pursue a career in the Built Environment. It offers a unique opportunity to benefit from:
- 1-to-1 mentoring with a designated, trained industry professional at their London office
- Peer-to-peer learning with undergraduate students
- Skills development workshops in a university environment
- Portfolio production and university entrance guidance workshops
- Exhibition of work created during the programme at a central London location
Skills and knowledge students will develop during the programme:
- - Insight into built environment careers
- - Core skills (critical thinking, drawing and model making) and soft skills (communication and confidence required for entry to Higher Education built environment courses.
- -Specific advice and therefore confidence regarding built environment Higher Education courses and careersSpecific advice and therefore confidence regarding built environment Higher Education courses and careers
The Accelerate into University guide provides a more detailed outline of the programme for students, teachers and careers advisors, including the eligibility criteria. It can be downloaded via this link
When is Accelerate into University?
The programme starts Autumn term 2015 and ends Summer term 2016.
How to apply to Accelerate into University
Download the first-stage application form from the Accelerate into University website, check the eligibility criteria, and return the application by Tuesday 3 March 2014.
Accelerate into University is limited to 40 students, and there is likely to be a high demand for this programme, so the programme application is a two-stage process and successful candidates will be notified by the end of the Spring Term.
Find out more:
Students, parents, teachers and careers advisors can hear more about Accelerate at our Open Taster Sessions in February 2015 at a central London location, where students will:
- meet previous mentees, UCL student mentors, professional mentors and the Open-City education team
- be advised on relevant AS/A level subjects choices for built environment Higher Education courses
We hope Accelerate into University resonates with you as an excellent programme that one or more of your students would benefit from.
Please inform students of the Open Taster Sessions and hand out the guide and application form to students who you think would benefit from the programme. Please also distribute this information to colleagues, such as careers advisors, higher education co-ordinators, Year 11 form tutors, art & design and design & technology teachers who may know of other students.
We are happy to discuss the programme in more detail by e-mail or phone. Please contact Venetia Wolfenden, Education Manager (email@example.com or 020 7383 5722).
To find out more about the programme, click here