21-06-2012: Important Reminder re Synetrix Service Terminations on 31st July
In earlier communiques, schools have been encouraged to migrate services such as Web site hosting to new LGfL 2.0 facilities, and away from the LGfL1 facilities procured in the past from Synetrix.
We are now at a stage where LGfL1 services will shortly cease to operate, so any remaining instances should now be addressed without delay.
This information refers to the following services previously procured through LGfL from Synetrix, and now replaced by LGfL 2.0 services and was advised to all registered Nominated Contacts and head teachers by email on 29th May.
- Sophos Anti-virus software
- DNS (domain name) hosting – relevant if the school hosts its own email or web server(s), instead of using LGfL email or web hosting.
- Email Content Control (email scanning) – (for users of LGfL StaffMail and LondonMail, no action is required)
- SecureStore (off site back up) – action is required if the school currently uses SecureStore from Synetrix – see www.gridstore.lgfl.net
- CentraStage – mainly only used by LAs in the past
- Website hosting (If your school web site is not hosted at Synetrix (e.g. in WebFronter) no action is required)
This does not refer to LGfL1 broadband connections, which are managed separately, and coordinated by LGfL in concert with Virgin Media Business.
This does not refer to LGfL1 Internet filtering which LGfL will continue to ensure is effective and in place on LGfL1 broadband connections.
New LGfL 2.0 services, equivalent to those listed above, are available to subscribing schools, irrespective of whether currently on LGfL1 or LGfL 2.0 connection.
With the exception of GridStore, all of the above are included in the charge for the LGfL 2.0 service, and no purchase order is required to take up these LGfL 2.0 service elements.
There is an LGfL BULLETIN which gives further details on the above, and other useful information, which is available online at www.schools.lgfl.net
There will be no more communiques advising schools of the need to migrate the above service elements away from Synetrix.
Where the LGfL1 services bulleted above are chargeable by Synetrix (via LGfL), charges for each service will cease at the latest, with effect from 31st July.
LGfL Nominated Contacts in schools are asked to particularly ensure that they have read and are familiar with the LGfL 2.0 Technical Transition Guide for Schools, available online at www.schools.lgfl.net